Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $20-23/hr. compensation with experience with 1-year completion bonus of $750.00
- Start date: August 2022
- End date: August 2023
- Location: Pendleton, Oregon
- Additional details: Vehicle will be provided or mileage reimbursed. GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST; however, field technicians must be equipped with suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots).
Primary duties involve:
- Avian point count surveys, conducted throughout the day with a focus on passerines, raptors (e.g., hawks and eagles) and other large birds (e.g., waterfowl). In addition to species identification, the surveyor will record detailed records of each observation including behavior, distance, flight heights and flight paths
- Conducting fatality monitoring at wind energy facilities
- Fieldwork will require long days in a wide variety of conditions (300 - 100° F) and wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving UTV’s, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
- Job duties require use of compass, range-finder, tablet, and Global Positioning System devices.
- Training will be provided.
- An average workweek may include 40 hours, though may require shorter or longer hours some weeks, depending on the project and seasonal workloads.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred.
- Highly proficient in identification of Great Basin bird species and able to work independently and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, and other coworkers.
- Candidates within an hour drive will be given preference.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise) ; Maintain focus for long periods of time; Follow instructions from manager and team leader; Maintain positive attitude; And accept guidance and constructive criticism. Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require walking /hiking up to 8 miles each day over uneven terrain, and surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Surveyors may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.