Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices in 13 states, is looking for a temporary, full-time Biological Field Technician.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to basic research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry, and other organizations.
- Start Date: July 25, 2022
- End Date: September 30, 2022
- Location: Watertown, NY
- Compensation: $17-20 per hour DOE
- Additional Details: The schedule is anticipated to consist of 4-5 days and approximately 30-40 hours of full-time work per week during the two-month position. Overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 in a given week. The technician must have reliable transportation to and from the work site and will be reimbursed mileage at the current federal standard rate.
The successful candidate for this full-time position will be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients.
- Conduct standardized carcass monitoring beneath operating wind turbines
- Complete bias trials to assess scavenging rate and searcher efficiency
- Follow field and data entry protocols
- Use compass, Global Positioning System devices, range finder, and camera.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, landowners, and others.
- The job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; to observe for long periods; to follow instructions from managers and team leaders; to maintain a positive attitude; and to accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and able to navigate rugged terrain at a measured pace throughout the day.
- Field technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boot) and field attire.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.