Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full Biological Field Technician to help investigate the impact of wind turbines on bats and birds at operational wind facilities near Streator, Illinois, starting end of July 11th through October 15, 2022. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $15.00-17.00/hour
- Start date: July 11, 2022
- End date: October 15, 2022 with the possibility of extension on other projects
- Location: Near Streator, IL (LaSalle and Livingston counties)
- Housing: $500/ month for qualified (non-local) applicants
- Additional details: Mileage reimbursement at the federal rate will be provided for personal vehicle use. GPS unit, compass, camera, tablet and range finder will be provided by WEST, however, technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed boots (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars.
Primary duties involve:
- Conducting fatality monitoring for bird and bat fatalities beneath operating wind turbines near Streator, IL.
- Fieldwork will require long days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds.
- Fatality monitoring will entail long hours of walking, sometimes in inclement conditions, followed by nightly data review and electronic uploads.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of field work (mud, dust, driving on gravel roads, extreme heat and cold).
- Workload may be 30-40 hours per week depending on the project, and may require overtime or weekend work.
- Job duties require use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, and digital cameras or tablets as well as the ability to maintain equipment.
- Technician should have familiarity with Midwest bird and bat species. Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities.
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment and follow WEST and facility protocols to stay safe, healthy and work efficiently.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Good bird and bat identification skills for species in the region, and ability to use of guides and keys for identification are preferred.
- Skilled use of GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Must be tolerant of biting or stinging insects.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.