Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is seeking two self-motivated temporary, part-time (30+ hours per week) biological field technicians to work in central Illinois. Preference will be given to candidates able to commit to 3 month period of surveys and can work 5 days per week. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $17.00+ per hour based on experience
- Start date: mid-July 2022
- End date: October 17, 2022
- Location: near Macomb, IL
- Housing: housing stipend is available for this position depending on need to relocate
- Additional details: A WEST rented truck will be provided unless candidates prefer reimbursement for a personal vehicle (mileage reimbursement at the federal rate will be provided). GPS unit, compass, camera, range finder (if necessary), and appropriate PPE will be provided by WEST; however, technician must be equipped with their own appropriate field clothing, safety-toe boots, and binoculars.
Primary duties involve:
- Conduct standardized fatality searches (i.e., beneath wind turbines) to locate bird and bat fatalities and acoustic monitoring set up and maintenance.
- Work will include field data collection following best practices to collect data, including but not limited to proper implementation of survey protocols, accuracy, and secure and confidential data handling.
- Fieldwork might require days of continuous walking, sometimes 1 – 3 miles per day.
- Fieldwork will require working in potentially high winds, extreme temperatures, and remote locations.
- Candidates must be comfortable operating 4X4 vehicles.
- Job duties will require use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, tablets, and digital cameras.
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment and follow WEST and Project protocols to stay healthy, safe, and efficient.
- Candidates will be required to work weekends periodically.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as fieldwork will be conducted under potentially extreme environmental conditions.
- Applicants must be able to walk 1 – 3 miles per day.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Training will be provided for all Project-specific topics.
- Skilled use of GPS units, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.