Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium-size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a Biological Field Technician near Cumberland County, New Jersey.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Project Length: April 2022 – July 2022
- Compensation: $17-20/hr DOE
- Schedule: 8 hours per week, April 26 – July 8
- Additional Details: A work truck will be provided by WEST or a suitable candidate can use their personal vehicle (truck or SUV recommended) and be reimbursed for mileage at the current Internal Revenue Service Rate.
- Job Location: Cumberland County, New Jersey
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work independently and communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients; have previous experience with eagle observation and be able to identify in-flight eagles, map movements, and take behavioral notes; and have experience working in extreme weather conditions and isolation.
- Monitor for eagle activity and movements at an active nest
- Follow protocols to collect data, map flight paths, and describe eagle and raptor behaviors
- Upload observations forms electronically on a weekly basis
- Interact with landowners
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred
- Proficient in identification of in-flight and perched eagles; candidates experienced in raptor/eagle identification and recording behavioral observations will be given preference
- Skill in use of topographic maps, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
- Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, and landowners.
- Must be able to cope with long observations from a fixed position and warm temperatures in summer
- Must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (boots), binoculars, portable chair, and proper clothing for extreme weather conditions
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.