Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full-time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: Depends on experience.
- Housing: TBD
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
- End Date: One year with possibility for additional work.
- Location: Waco, TX
- Additional Details: Vehicle and data collection tools for work completion and a spotting scope (if necessary) will be provided by WEST; however, technician must be equipped with and provide suitable binoculars (10x42 minimum), footwear, and appropriate clothing.
Primary responsibility of this position is:
- Conducting fixed-point bird use surveys at a proposed wind energy facility.
The successful candidate for this position will be:
- An experienced birder that has previous experience identifying Texas bird species by sight and sound, with an emphasis on eagle and raptor identification.
- Prior experience conducting point counts is highly preferred.
- Secondary responsibilities may include other survey types, including raptor nest surveys and surveys for plant and animal species of concern.
- Candidates must be able to work independently and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to complete datasheets accurately and submit data timely and regularly is required.
- The successful candidate will follow all safety procedures to complete tasks safely and with a high degree of quality.
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job-related activities.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Must follow all WEST safety protocols and conduct field work with safety as top priority
- Experience conducting avian use point count surveys preferred
Must be proficient in identification by sight and sound of
- 1) eagles (all species and age classes),
- 2) diurnal raptors, and
- 3) Texas bird species
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential
- Should be able to use, care for and maintain field equipment including work vehicle
- Able to work independently and as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians
- Able to appear for work on time, with surveys beginning at sunrise, and maintain focus for long periods of time
- Be flexible and able to maintain a positive attitude in adverse conditions
- Experience with ATV’s, UTV’s and trailering highly preferred
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, able stand or walk for up to 12 hours per day and carry up to 30 lbs. over uneven terrain
- Surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.