Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, with potential for temporary full time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation:$17.00 - $21.00 /hr DOE
- Housing: $500/month rent reimbursement
- Start Date: April 2022
- End Date: March 2023
- Location: Dodge City, Kansas
- Additional Details: Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite toe), clothing, and binoculars
The successful candidate will be:
- An independent self-motivated individual who is skilled in bird identification and has previous experience conducting avian use and post construction monitoring surveys.
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors.
- Conduct field work while adhering to WEST and client field safety requirements
- Conduct standardized fatality searches and follow data collection protocol
- Collect data to measure sources of bias in fatality surveys
- Conduct standardized avian-use surveys and other seasonal wildlife surveys at pre-construction wind energy projects; data collection will include use of detailed paper datasheets
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; undergraduates or other enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply
- Previous experience conducting fixed-point avian surveys is preferred; however, enthusiastic birders will also be considered.
- Candidates with field experience at regional wind projects will be given preference
- Experience with macro-photography, skilled use of computers, tablet data collection, GPS units, compass, topographic maps, and other field equipment is preferred
- Experience using field guides/keys for identification is preferred, especially for bird and bat identification
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures
- Candidates must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; start times can often start as early as sunrise
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Field work will entail long hours of standing and observing, sometimes in inclement conditions and walking in varying terrain
- Some lifting and carrying, up to 50 lbs., may be required
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.