Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic mid-sized consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full-time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18- 21/ hr. commensurate with experience
- Start Date: June 1, 2022
- End Date: At least through May 2023, with possibility of work through May 2024
- Location: Central New Mexico (Torrance County), Albuquerque area
- Additional Details: Vehicle will be provided or mileage reimbursed. GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST; however, field technicians must be equipped with suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots).
- This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Primary duties will include conducting fatality monitoring at wind energy facilities.
- Fieldwork will require long days of walking transects (up to 8 miles per day) and conducting scans beneath turbines, as well as conducting searcher efficiency trials and carcass persistence trials.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, rattlesnakes, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, high winds, extreme heat and cold).
- Job duties require use of compass, range-finder, tablet, and Global Positioning System (GPS) devices.
- Training will be provided.
- An average workweek may include 40 hours, though shorter or longer hours may be required some weeks, depending on the project and seasonal workloads.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, field coordinators, other field technicians, wind facility personnel, and landowners.
- Ability to follow established protocols for data collection and health and safety
- Good bird identification skills for species in the region and ability to use guides and keys for identification are preferred
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise) ; maintain focus for long periods of time; follow instructions from manager and team leader; maintain positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism. Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Candidates within an hour’s drive will be given preference
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require walking/hiking up to 8 miles each day over uneven terrain, and surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Surveyors may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.