Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption.
WEST has an opening for a biological field technician near Billings, Montana. The primary responsibilities of this position are to monitor for eagle activity. Duties include following monitoring protocols to collect data, map flight paths, describe eagle behaviors, and communicate observations. Candidates must have previous raptor observation experience and be willing to work long days in a variety of weather conditions. Technicians will work independently and must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with the client and WEST supervisors. Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients. Work vehicles and field equipment will be provided by WEST; however, field technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boot), clothing, and binoculars. A housing stipend will be provided for Billings or the surrounding area.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
Location: Billings, MT
Start Date: March 21, 2022
End Date: September 30, 2022
Compensation: $16-$18 DOE
Additional details: The position is 30-40 hours/week and is anticipated to include a 6-month commitment (March 21 – September 30). Work days will include some weekends and holidays. Working hours will vary depending on amount of daylight.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree and experience preferred.
- Undergraduates, individuals currently seeking degree, and other enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Good bird identification skills for species in the region, specifically eagles and other raptors, are required.
- Must demonstrate ability to work on biological field studies or prior field experience.
- Must be able to work independently and interact positively with project managers, clients, landowners, and others.
- Candidates experienced in eagle identification/behavioral observation will be given preference.
- Applicants must be able to cope with winter temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Experience with 4x4 vehicles is required.
- Skilled use of topographic maps, GPS units, and other field equipment is required.
Job requires the person filling this position be able to appear for work on time; to stand and observe for long periods of time; to follow instructions from manager and team leader; to interact effectively with coworkers and clients; to maintain positive attitude; and to accept guidance and constructive criticism. Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.