Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for two temporary full time, Biological Field Technicians. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The primary duty involves conducting:
- Avian surveys for small birds (e.g. passerines, etc.) and large birds (e.g. waterfowl, shorebirds, diurnal raptors [including eagles], etc.)
- Job duties require bird identification (including possible species of conservation concern) and the use of a compass, GPS, paper and electronic map devices.
- Candidates should also expect and be prepared to be involved in other fieldwork at the project, or at another nearby projects. Examples of such fieldwork could include: post-construction bird and bat monitoring, bias trial administration, breeding bird surveys, Prairie Grouse lek surveys.
- This job includes conducting field work in remote locations.
- Fieldwork may include travel on field roads into project area, field navigation, and observing and recording for avian activity (previous experience preferred).
- The job will consist of up to 8-12 hour days.
- Field conditions will include a range of extreme high and low temperatures and varying high wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
Compensation: $17-20 per hour depending on experience
Start date: April 1, 2022
End date: March 31, 2023 (with possibility of employment extending to March 2024).
Location: One position near Topeka, Kansas and one position near Wichita, Kansas
Housing: Rent reimbursement of up to $500 per month, if moving is required.
Additional details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; Undergraduates or other enthusiastic workers are still encouraged to apply
- Candidates with field experience at regional wind projects will be given preference
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys and experience with in-flight bird identification of Kansas species or ability to identify species using guides/keys is preferred.
- Skilled use of computers, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners
- Must be able to appear for work on time; start times will often be as early as sunrise
- Consistent and amicable communication with the team is imperative.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (over-ankle boots), clothing suitable for outdoor work in all elements, and binoculars (at least 8x42).
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.