Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The successful candidate for this position will be:
- Able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, have previous experience conducting post-construction fatality monitoring surveys, have experience working in extreme weather conditions, and navigating rough terrain.
- Conducting fatality monitoring for bird and bat fatalities beneath operating wind turbines
- Collect data to measure sources of bias in fatality estimation
- Conduct field work in remote locations; fieldwork will include driving on dirt roads and walking up to 10 miles per day on uneven terrain under a variety of temperatures and wind speeds.
- Fatality monitoring will entail long hours of walking, sometimes in inclement conditions.
- Job duties require use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, and digital cameras as well as the ability to maintain equipment.
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities.
- Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and the wind energy facilities.
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment to stay safe and work efficiently.
Compensation: $15-18 per hour, DOE
Start date: March 2022
End date: March 2023
Location: Near Keyser, WV
Housing: No housing provided. Field technician must live within 1 hour of Keyser, WV
Additional details: Work load - 30-40 hours / month (March – June; Nov - March), increasing to 30-40 hours / week (July – Oct.) Onboarding date and schedule flexibility may be possible depending on applicant availability.
The technician must have reliable transportation to and from the work site and will be reimbursed mileage at the current federal standard rate. GPS unit, compass, camera, and range finder (if necessary) will be provided by WEST, however, technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.), and clothing.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Must live within 1 hour drive of Keyser, WV
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Must be able to maintain equipment.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Skilled use of GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Field technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boot) and clothing.
- Candidate must follow all WEST safety protocols
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and able to navigate rugged terrain at a measured pace throughout the day as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.