Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $15.00-18.00 per hour DOE
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sick Leave: Starting April 1, this position will start accruing 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked up to a maximum of 48 hours in the first year.
- Housing: $500/ month
- Start Date: March 21, 2021
- End Date: May 15, 2022
- Location: Van Wert, OH
- Additional Details: 40 – 60 + hours per pay period. One full time week followed by one no hour or part-time week. Personal vehicle use required. Mileage will be reimbursed for personal vehicle use. Proof of insurance will be required for use of personal vehicle.
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, have previous experience conducting carcass searches, and have had experience working in extreme weather conditions and navigating rough terrain.
- Search designated plots beneath wind turbines for bird and bat fatalities and collect data to measure sources of bias in fatality estimation
- There may be limited opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Associate’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent or degree preferred
- Must be able to follow all safety protocols to ensure safe navigation throughout the day. Technicians are expected to use good judgment to stay safe and work efficiently
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Skilled use of compass, global positioning system devices, range finders, and tablet computers as well as the ability to maintain equipment
- Ability to follow protocol is essential
- Ability to identify common birds and bats within the region and able to use guides and keys for identification of unknown specimens
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities
- Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots, mud boots, etc.) and clothing (long pants, shirts with sleeves, rain gear). All other protective equipment will be provided.
- Candidate must follow all WEST safety protocols
- Ability to manage data and take appropriate notes while maintaining communications with managing team
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
- Successful candidates must be willing and able to spend a majority of the day (8-10 hours) in the elements, collecting and managing data with great attention to detail and must possess the scientific background to be able to adhere to scientific methods and report results of field studies
- Protocols require walking for potentially long lengths of time at a set pace
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.