Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The primary duty involves conducting:
- Avian surveys for small birds (e.g. passerines, etc.) and large birds (e.g. waterfowl, shorebirds, diurnal raptors, etc.)
- Job duties require bird identification and the use of a compass, GPS, paper and electronic map devices.
- The job will consist of up to 10-11 hour days, 6–7 days per month.
- Field conditions may include a range of extreme high and low temperatures and varying high wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, biting/stinging insects, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
Compensation: $15-17.00 per hour DOE
Start date: April, 2022
End date: September 31, 2022
Location: generally located in southwest Indiana. Flexibility for candidate to be located out of Evansville, IN, Rockport, IN, Tell City IN, Owensboro KY, or in the vicinity of those cities.
Mileage Reimbursement: miles driven for work in personal vehicle will be reimbursed at the current federal rate.
Additional details: GPS units and other field and safety equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position. Additional opportunities to assist with post-construction monitoring surveys may be available.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying birds by sight and sound, recording data correctly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is preferred.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the team leader, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Consistent communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.