Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium sized consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990,
WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
Safe and happy working environment
- Primary responsibility of this position is:
- Conducting fixed-point bird use surveys at a proposed wind energy facility.
- Assisting with other surveys as needed potentially including surveys for raptor nests, bat acoustic surveys, lek counts, and targeted surveys for wildlife species of concern
- The successful candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
- An accomplished birder with demonstrated experience identifying western bird species by sight and sound, with an emphasis on eagle and raptor identification.
- Prior experience conducting point counts is highly preferred.
- Prior experience conducting raptor nest surveys, grouse lek surveys, habitat assessments, or surveys for plant and animal species of concern is a plus.
- Prior experience working independently in remote, rugged terrain in mud and snow conditions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to complete datasheets accurately and submit data timely and regularly.
- A demonstrated record of safety and good decision-making skills working in remote environments.
- Experience with ATV/UTV and trailering is highly preferred.
Compensation: $18-20/hr DOE
Start date: January 2022
End date: December 2022 with the possibility of an additional year
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Housing: Not included
Additional details: Vehicle and data collection tools for work completion and a spotting scope (if necessary) will be provided by WEST; however, technician must be equipped with and provide suitable binoculars, footwear, and appropriate clothing.
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties associated with this position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred, enthusiastic applicants with relevant field experience also considered
- Must follow all WEST safety protocols and conduct field work with safety as top priority
- Ability to use, care for and maintain field equipment including work vehicle
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians
- Ability to appear for work on time, with some surveys beginning before sunrise
- Ability to stay focused for long periods of time
- Flexibility to work variable days and times and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging conditions
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, able stand or walk for up to 12 hours per day and carry up to 30 lbs. over uneven terrain
- Surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and environmental conditions can be extreme
A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. Candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company, if an offer of employment is made.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.