Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- $500.00 Completion Bonus for employees in good standing
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
Biological field technician will collect fatality monitoring data at wind farm projects near Lafayette, IN.
- Searching for bird and bat fatalities beneath operating wind turbines
- Participate in carcass persistence and searcher efficiency trials
- Walking for several hours every day, sometimes in inclement conditions, followed by nightly data review and electronic uploads
- Workload may be around 20 hours per week, depending on the project, and may require weekend work; currently looking for a technician for either the spring (April 1 – May 15) or fall field seasons (Aug 1 – Oct 15); potential for summer work as well
- Job duties require the use of compass, global positioning system devices, range finders, digital cameras or tablets, as well as the ability to maintain the equipment
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities
Start date: August 1, 2021
End date: October 15, 2021
Location: Lafayette, IN
Housing: $500.00 housing reimbursement per month for out of state applicants
Additional details: The technician must have reliable transportation to and from the work site and will be reimbursed mileage at the current federal standard rate. GPS unit, compass, camera, and range finder will be provided by WEST, however, technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety-toed footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing and binoculars (if necessary).
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred but NOT required; applications from undergraduates and other enthusiastic workers with relevant job experience are welcome.
- Must live within a 1 hour drive of Chalmers, Indiana
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential
- Able to work independently or as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, clients, and other technicians
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time
- Maintain focus for long periods of time
- Follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors
- Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and constructive criticism
- Follow all WEST safety protocols
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Must be tolerant of biting or stinging insects.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.