Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size environmental consulting firm, is looking for a temporary full time Biological Field Technician to help investigate the impact of wind turbines on bats (and birds) at operational wind facilities throughout Iowa, starting June 28th through October 16th , 2021. Biological field technicians will conduct standardized searches beneath wind turbines to locate and document bird and bat carcasses. Successful candidates must be able to follow field and data collection protocols, work well both independently and with others, and live and work in a rural setting. Training will be provided on bird/bat identification and field data collection. An average work week may include 30-40 hours for full-time employees, though there may be weeks requiring shorter or longer hours, depending on the project and seasonal workloads. Travel between sites will be required; personal vehicle use will be reimbursed for mileage or a field vehicle will be provided if needed.
Successful candidates will work independently, but within a large team of field technicians, gaining hands on field experience collecting scientific data used to assess the impacts of wind turbines on birds and bats across Iowa. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States, combining ecology and statistics to address natural resource challenges. Using state-of-the-art statistical principles in the design, management, and analysis of ecological field studies, WEST specializes in common sense, professional, and scientifically defensible approaches to natural resource challenges. WEST has new projects starting year round throughout North America, providing a variety of opportunities to field technicians with a passion for field work and wildlife biology. Apply now to join our team of nationally recognized avian and bat biologists as a biological field technician!
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
- Conduct field work while adhering to WEST and client field safety requirements.
- Conduct standardized fatality searches and follow data collection protocol
- Collect data for standardized protocols to measure sources of bias in fatality surveys
- Potential opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys
Compensation: $15.00 – 16.00 per hour, DOE
Start date: June 28, 2021
End date: October 16, 2021
Location: Various Counties, Iowa
Housing: Housing or rent reimbursement may be provided to qualifying technicians. WEST provided housing includes furnished apartments with all utilities included, including internet.
Additional details: A vehicle can be provided for work purposes if needed.
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; undergraduates or other enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply
- Candidates with field experience at regional wind projects will be given preference
- Experience with macro-photography, skilled use of computers, tablet data collection, GPS units, compass, and other field equipment is preferred
- Experience using field guides/keys for identification is preferred, especially for bird and bat identification within the Central Flyway
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; start times can often start as early as sunrise
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require walking for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), binoculars, clothing, water bottles, etc.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.