Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
WEST has an opening for one part-time (30-35 hours/week) Biological Field Technician in Garrett County, Maryland. The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct standardized carcass searches for birds and bats at two operational wind projects. Surveys will consist of standardized carcass searches completed 4 days per week from July 1 – October 15, 2021, with the possibility of work continuing beyond October 15 depending upon any new needs. Candidates experienced in conducting standardized carcass searches will be given preference.
Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys include long hours of walking (approximately 6-7 hours per day, 6-7 miles per day) over uneven terrain where temperatures and environmental conditions can be extreme.
Environmental conditions can include working in rain, wind, mud, extreme heat, and insects/mosquitos/ticks/rattlesnakes. The Biological Field Technician will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients. The technician must have reliable transportation to/from the work site and will be reimbursed mileage at the current IRS rates. All field equipment (GSP, rangefinder, data sheets, nd tablet) and safety equipment (i.e., hard hat, hi-vis vest, eye shields, gloves) needed to complete surveys will be provided by WEST; however, the Biological Field Technician must provide their own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boot or mud boots) and clothing. Hours worked will be between 30-35 hours per week and overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 during a given week, but are not anticipated. It is anticipated that the hours will be spread over 4 days per week and a schedule will be provided to the Biological Field Technician; however, changes may need to occur during surveys to account for severe weather (i.e., thunderstorms or lightning) or turbine maintenance.
Compensation: $15-17 per hour DOE
Start date: July 1, 2021
End date: October 15, 2021
Location: Garrett County, MD
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, and others.
- The job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; to observe for long periods; to follow instructions from managers and team leaders; and to maintain positive attitude.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and able to navigate rugged terrain at a measured pace throughout the day as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Field technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots) and clothing.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.