Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidates for these full-time positions will be able to work independently and have the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, and have demonstrated the ability to work on biological field studies or have prior field experience. Candidates experienced in conducting standardized carcass searches at operational wind energy facilities will be given preference.
- Conduct standardized carcass monitoring beneath operating wind turbines
- Complete bias trials to assess scavenging rate and searcher efficiency
- Follow field and data entry protocols
- Use compass, Global Positioning System devices, range finder, four-wheel drive
Start date: April 15, 2021
End date: November 15, 2021
Location: Fredonia, NY
Additional details: The schedule is anticipated to consist of 4-5 days on site and approximately 30-40 hours of work per week during the seven-month position. WEST will provide field equipment and reimburse for mileage at the current GSA rate. Overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 during a given week.vehicle, and camera.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, landowners, and others.
- The job requires the individuals filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; to observe for long periods of time; to follow instructions from managers and team leaders; to maintain positive attitude; and to accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and able to navigate rugged terrain at a measured pace throughout the day as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Field technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boot) and clothing.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.