Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. WEST has an opening for a biological field technician in Dwight, Illinois.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work independently and communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients; have previous experience with raptor observation and be able to identify in-flight eagles and raptors; and have experience working in extreme
weather conditions and navigating rugged terrain.
- Monitor for eagle and raptor activity
- Follow protocols to collect data, map flight paths, and describe eagle and raptor behaviors
Project Length: January 2021-December 2021
Schedule: 8 - 10 hours per week three times per month (possibility of additional work at other projects)
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
- Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred
- Proficient in identification of in-flight eagles and raptors; candidates experienced in raptor/eagle identification and recording behavioral observations will be given preference
- Skilled use of topographic maps, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
- Must be able to cope with mountainous terrain and summer temperatures
- Must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (hiking boots), binoculars, and proper clothing for extreme weather conditions
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.