Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for Biological Field Technician that can work flexible hours in southwestern Kansas, to conduct surveys at operational windfarms, with the potential to assist with other wildlife surveys in the area.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- # of Hires Needed: 3
- Compensation: $17.00 - $21.00/hour, DOE
- Hours: full time, with potential for occasional overtime if desired
- Start date: October 2023
- End date: September 2024, with likelihood of extension
- Location: Southwestern, KS (i.e., Ulysses, Scott City)
- Housing: $700 housing reimbursement/month available (if relocating for position)
- Completion Bonus: $750 bonus once project is complete (if in good standing).
- Additional details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must already be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing suitable to adverse weather conditions.
- Conducting standardized avian use surveys (i.e., avian point count surveys).
- Other surveys as opportunity arises (post-construction monitoring, lek surveys, raptor nest surveys, monitoring bat detectors, etc. as needed).
- Fieldwork will require long, physically challenging days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds.
- Preference given to candidates able to identify western birds by sight and sound, especially western Kansas and eastern Colorado – please expand upon your bird identification skills in your application.
- Must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (e.g., sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat, cold and wind).
- Job duties require use of compass and Global Positioning System devices.
- Training will be provided as appropriate, and other tasks may be assigned as needed.
- Travel between sites in a work or personal vehicle. Mileage reimbursement will be provided in case of personal vehicle use.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying birds of the Central Flyway by sight and sound, including eagles in varying age classes, recording data correctly and legibly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule and be a self-starter, working independently, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is preferred but will train the right candidate.
- Candidates should be able to live and work in a remote field setting, interact positively and professionally with project managers, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, have the ability to appear for work on time (surveys will begin at sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the supervisors, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Candidate must be able to perform duties with limited supervision.
- Consistent and effective communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, high wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, surveys will require walking or standing for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme Potential to be hiking in rugged terrain in varied weather conditions with limited cell phone reception.
Due to stringent client requirements for this project, the selected candidate(s) will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. Please contact us if you have any questions related to this requirement.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.