Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, full-time, Biological Field Technician.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $17.00 - $20.00/hour, DOE
- Housing: Either housing or housing reimbursement will be provided
- Start Date: October 20, 2023
- End Date: April 20, 2024
- Location: Wharton County, TX (Coastal Texas)
- Additional Details: Vehicle and data collection tools for work completion and a spotting scope (if necessary) will be provided by WEST; however, technician must be equipped with and provide suitable binoculars (10x42 minimum), footwear, and appropriate clothing.
- Primary responsibility of this position is:
- Conducting whooping crane surveys and monitoring at a wind energy facility construction site.
The successful candidate for this position will be:
- An experienced birder that has previous experience identifying Texas bird species by sight and sound, with an emphasis on Whooping Crane and Sandhill Crane identification.
- Prior experience conducting point counts is highly preferred.
- Secondary responsibilities may include other survey types, including raptor nest surveys and surveys for plant and animal species of concern.
- Candidates must be able to work independently and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to complete datasheets accurately and submit data timely and regularly is required.
- The successful candidate will follow all safety procedures to complete tasks safely and with a high degree of quality.
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job-related activities.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred.
- Must follow all WEST safety protocols and conduct field work with safety as top priority.
- Experience conducting avian use point count surveys preferred.
Must be proficient in identification by sight and sound of:
- 1) Whooping Crane and Sandhill Crane,
- 2) Texas bird species.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Should be able to use, care for and maintain field equipment including work vehicle.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
- Able to appear for work on time, with surveys beginning at sunrise, and maintain focus for long periods of time.
- Be flexible and able to maintain a positive attitude in adverse conditions.
- Surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.