Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, part-time or full-time, Biological Field Technician.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $16.00 - $19.00/ hour, DOE
- Housing: $800 rent reimbursement may be provided to qualifying applicants
- Start Date: July 15, 2023
- End Date: October 15, 2023
- Location: Newman, IL
- Additional Details: Travel around site will be required; mileage for personal vehicle (4-wheel or all-wheel drive) use will be reimbursed. A rental vehicle is NOT available for this position.
The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- To conduct standardized searches for bird and bat carcasses beneath wind turbines.
- Successful candidates must be able to work in a rural field setting, work well both independently and with others, and follow field and data entry protocols.
- Previous experience conducting carcass searches is preferred.
- Training will be provided.
- An average workweek will be approximately 20-30 hours, though there may be weeks requiring shorter or longer hours depending on seasonal objectives.
- Standardized fatality searches.
- Standardized protocols to measure sources of bias in fatality surveys.
- Potential opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; Undergraduates or other enthusiastic workers are still encouraged to apply.
- Candidates with field experience at regional wind projects will be given preference.
- Experience with bat and bird identification of Midwestern species or ability to identify species using guides/keys is preferred.
- Skilled use of computers, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Must be able to appear for work on time; start times will often be as early as sunrise.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition; surveys will require walking for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), clothing suitable for outdoor work in all elements, and binoculars (at least 8x42).
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.