Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for three temporary, full-time Biological Field Technicians near Binghamton, New York.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $16.00 - $18.00/hour, DOE
- Start Date: July, 2023
- End Date: November 15, 2023
- Additional Details: The schedule is anticipated to consist of 4-5 days and approximately 30-40 hours of full-time work per week during the five-month position. Overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 in a given week. The technician must have reliable transportation to and from the work site and will be reimbursed mileage at the current federal standard rate. Local applicants preferred; however, a housing reimbursement may be available to qualified non-local applicants.
The successful candidate for this full-time position will be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients and have demonstrated the ability to work on biological field studies or have prior field experience. Candidates experienced in conducting standardized carcass searches at operational wind energy facilities will be given preference.
- Conduct standardized carcass monitoring beneath operating wind turbines.
- Complete bias trials to assess scavenging rate and searcher efficiency.
- Follow field and data entry protocols.
- Use compass, Global Positioning System devices, range finder, and camera.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, landowners, and others.
- The job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; to observe for long periods; to follow instructions from managers and team leaders; to maintain a positive attitude; and to accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and able to navigate rugged terrain at a measured pace throughout the day.
- Field technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boot) and field attire.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.