Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, full-time Biological Field Technician with exceptional avian identification skills.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $21.50 - $23.50/hour, DOE
- Hours: full time, with potential for occasional overtime if desired
- Start date: ASAP
- End date: April 15, 2024, with likelihood of extension
- Location: Southwest Kansas, could be based out of Liberal or Hugoton, KS
- Housing: $500 housing reimbursement/month available
- Completion Bonus: $500 bonus once project is complete
- Additional details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing suitable to adverse weather conditions.
The primary duties involve:
- Conducting standardized avian use surveys (i.e. avian point count surveys).
- Other surveys as opportunity arises (post-construction monitoring, lek surveys, raptor nest surveys, monitoring bat detectors, etc. as needed).
- Fieldwork will require long, physically challenging days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds.
- Preference given to candidates able to identify western birds by sight and sound – please expand upon your bird identification skills in your application.
- Must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat, cold and wind).
- Job duties require use of compass and Global Positioning System devices.
- Training will be provided as appropriate, and other tasks may be assigned as needed.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying western birds by sight and sound, including eagles in varying age classes, recording data correctly and legibly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule and be a self-starter, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is preferred, but will train the right candidate.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, have the ability to appear for work on time (surveys will begin at sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the supervisors, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Candidate must be able to perform duties with limited supervision.
- Consistent and effective communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, high wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Potential to be hiking in rugged terrain in varied weather conditions with limited cell phone reception.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.