Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium-size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a Biological Field Technician near Elizabeth City, North Carolina.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $19.25-$23.75/hour, DOE
- Start Date: June 2023
- End Date: April 2024
- Schedule: One day and 10 hours per week from June 1 to October 15, 2023, and from October 16 to April 30, 2024. Five days and 50 hours per week from October 15, 2023, to March 15, 2024.
- Additional Details: The survey effort increases from one day per week to five days per week from May 15, 2023, to October 15, 2024. Overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 in a given week (Sunday to Saturday). A rental vehicle will be provided by WEST to complete work on the project. Local applicants preferred; however, a housing reimbursement will be available to qualified non-local applicants.
The successful candidates for this position will be able to work independently and communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients; have previous experience with eagle identification and eagle behavior, be able to identify in-flight eagles, map movements, take behavioral notes and communicate observations in real-time to operations staff to help inform operational curtailment. The position requires working long hours independently in potentially extreme weather such as (but not limited to) heat, cold, rain, and wind.
- Monitor for eagle activity and movements at an operational wind energy facility.
- Follow protocols to collect data, map flight paths, describe eagle behaviors, and communicate with on-site wind farm operations staff.
- Upload observation forms electronically.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent field preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Proficient in identification of in-flight and perched eagles and skilled in judging distances to birds in flight. Candidates experienced in raptor/eagle identification and recording behavioral observations will be given preference.
- Able to appear for work on time; coordinate closely with supervisors and facility staff; attentively observe for long periods from a fixed position; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism. Candidates experienced in communicating with wind farm operations staff will be given preference.
- Skill in the use of topographic maps, GPS units, and other field equipment is required.
- Must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (boots), binoculars, and proper clothing for extreme weather conditions.
- Precise and thorough data collection will be essential.
- Field technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients when on site.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.