Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, full-time Biological Field Technician with exceptional biological survey experience for a project in Wyoming.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $18.00 - $22.00/hour, DOE
- Hours: Temporary Full-time
- Start date: May 2023
- End date: October 2023, with possibility of extension
- Location: East Central Wyoming
- Housing: Partial housing reimbursement available
- Additional details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing suitable to adverse weather conditions. This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The primary duties may include but limited to:
- Conducting various biological field surveys including avian use, raptor migration, burrowing owl, long-billed curlew, mountain plover, swift fox, prairie dog, wetland delineation, and rare plant surveys.
- Fieldwork will require long, physically challenging days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds.
- Safe operation of a four-wheel drive vehicle and field truck.
- Safely managing hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, biting insects, dust, extreme heat, cold and wind).
- Navigation using a compass and Global Positioning System devices.
- Work schedule will be variable based on weather and survey schedule and is expected to average 40 hours per week, with potential for overtime.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying western birds by sight and sound. Experience in raptor identification is highly preferred.
- Previous experience conducting biological surveys for the species listed above is preferred, but WEST will train the right candidate.
- Candidates must be able to record data correctly and legibly, follow specific study and safety protocols, and trouble-shoot problems in the field.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, have the ability to appear for work on time (surveys will begin at sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the supervisors, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Candidate must be able to perform duties with limited supervision.
- Consistent and effective communication with the team is imperative.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in varying environmental conditions, including rain, high wind, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Preferred candidates will have experience operating 4WD vehicles on unimproved roads and in mud or snow conditions.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Candidate must be able to lift heavy equipment (up to 40 lbs.).
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.