Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, full-time, Biological Field Technician.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $18 - $22 / hour, DOE
- Housing: Not provided
- Start Date: April 2023
- End Date: October 2024, with potential for 1 year extension
- Schedule: 5 – 8 days per month
- Location: Technician must live within 2 hours of Klamath Falls, OR
- Additional Details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing.
The primary duty involves conducting:
- Avian surveys for song birds, hawks, eagles.
- This job includes conducting field work in a remote location.
- Fieldwork includes loading and towing a trailer with an ATV, operation of an ATV or tracked ATV, travel on field roads into project area, field navigation, and observing and recording for avian activity (previous experience required).
- The job will consist of up to 8-12 hour days, 4-8 days per month.
- Field conditions will include a range of extreme high and low temperatures and varying high wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold). Job duties require bird identification and the use of a compass, GPS, paper and electronic map devices.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying birds, recording data correctly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is required. Avian identification skills are required.
- Candidates must have experience towing and riding an ATV and/or tracked ATV.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the team leader, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Consistent communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.