Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full-time Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST maintains a permanent core of ecologists and biometricians that are experts in conducting relevant ecological studies and analyzing complicated natural resource data.
- Compensation: $22.50-$26.00/hour, DOE
- Start date: As soon as possible, prior to April 1, 2023 would be ideal.
- End date: March 2024, with possibility to extend based on available work and interest of the applicant.
- Location: Victorville, California
- Housing: If not local (within 45 min drive from project) housing allowance up to $900/month may be available. Must be willing to live in Victorville, California or within a 45 min drive to the facility.
- Additional details: Use of personal vehicle (high clearance required, ideally with AWD/4WD) is strongly preferred (mileage reimbursement at the federal rate will be provided). If a personal vehicle is not available, a company vehicle/rental may be available for use. GPS unit, compass, camera, and range finder (if necessary) will be provided by WEST; however, technician must be equipped with their own appropriate field clothing, binoculars, and safety toe boots (steel or plastic).
Primary duties involve:
- Conduct biological clearance and construction monitoring surveys prior to and during the construction of a 1000+ acre photovoltaic solar facility located in Adelanto, California.
- Field work will require working closely with the other WEST biologists, WEST subcontractor biologists, and project construction crews. Employees must demonstrate professionalism in conduct during all work.
- Surveys will include surveys for state and federally sensitive/listed species, generally conducted prior to excavation and construction activities.
- Clearing and construction surveys will require long days of continuous walking and close proximity to construction crews and other team members. Surveyors may be required to walk in excess of 10 miles per day.
- Candidates must be comfortable with hazards typical of the desert environment including: sharp vegetation, extreme temperatures, venomous snakes, and dehydration; and must be comfortable operating 4X4 vehicles in rough terrain.
- Workloads are expected to average 40 hours per week with possibility of overtime.
- Candidates proficient in electronic data collection (tablet data forms) and data management preferred.
- Job duties will require use of compass/phone-based global positioning system (GPS) devices, binoculars, range finders, and tablets as well as the ability to maintain equipment throughout the season.
- Technician should have, at minimum, a familiarity with desert ecosystems and common species of wildlife encountered in the region. Experience with clearance and construction surveys is a plus.
- Training will be provided for all Project-specific topics.
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment and follow WEST and Project protocols to stay healthy, safe, and efficient.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Good flora and fauna identification skills for species in the region and ability to use guides and keys for identification are preferred.
- Skilled use of GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in excellent physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Applicants must be able to hike 10+miles/day in all weather conditions (excluding unsafe conditions, during which work will be delayed).
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.