Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, part-time, Biological Field Technician to conduct avian use surveys. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $16-$22/ hour, DOE
- Start Date: April 2023
- End Date: March 2024
- Location: Princeville IL, Cambridge IL
- Additional Details: Vehicle will be provided or mileage reimbursed. GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST; however, field technicians must be equipped with suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots) and appropriate clothing.
Primary duties involve:
- Conducting standardized avian use surveys (i.e. avian point count surveys).
- Fieldwork will require long days in a range of temperatures (hot in summer; cold in winter).
- Candidate must be able to identify Midwestern birds by sight and sound, and be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
- Job duties require use of compass, and Global Positioning System devices.
- Training will be provided.
- Up to 14 days/month (8-12 hour days) will be required.
- Additional work for other IL projects may be available.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred.
- Must be proficient in identification of Midwest bird species by sight and sound and able to work independently and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
- Candidates experienced in field bird identification will be given preference.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise), maintain focus for long periods, follow instructions from supervisors, maintain a positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism. Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.