Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, full-time Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18.00 – $23.50/hour, DOE, $600 bonus upon completion for those in good standing with a good safety record.
- Start date: Approximately March 28, 2023
- End date: October 15, 2023 with the possibility of continuation and/or extension on other projects
- Schedule: Surveys will be conducted full-time from March 15th - May 15th and transfer to part-time work (minimum 1 day per week) for the month of June. Full-time work will resume on July 1st and run through mid-October.
- Location: Springfield IL, Jacksonville IL, or within the vicinity of either city.
- Housing: $750/month
- Additional details: Mileage reimbursement at the federal rate will be provided for personal vehicle use. GPS unit, compass, camera, tablet and range finder will be provided by WEST, however, technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed boots (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars.
Primary duties involve:
- Conducting fatality monitoring for bird and bat fatalities beneath operating wind turbines near Springfield, IL.
- Fieldwork may require long days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds.
- Fatality monitoring will entail long hours of walking, sometimes in inclement conditions, followed by nightly data review and electronic uploads.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of field work (mud, dust, driving on gravel roads, extreme heat and cold).
- Workload may be 30-40 hours per week, and may require overtime or weekend work.
- Job duties require use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, and digital cameras or tablets as well as the ability to maintain equipment.
- Technician should have familiarity with Midwest bird and bat species. Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities.
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment and follow WEST and facility protocols to stay safe, healthy and work efficiently.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Good bird and bat identification skills for species in the region, and ability to use of guides and keys for identification are preferred.
- Skilled use of GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.