Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, part-time to full-time Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $16-21/hour, depending on experience.
- Housing: $600/month housing reimbursement, if relocating.
- Start Date: March 18, 2023
- End Date: December 2023, with possibility for additional work afterwards.
- Location: Southern Coastal Texas (Kenedy County).
- Additional Details: Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars.
The successful candidate will be:
- An independent self-motivated individual who is skilled in bird identification and has previous experience conducting avian use surveys.
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors.
- Conduct avian use point count surveys at a pre-construction wind energy site.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred.
- Must be able to identify birds by sight and sound for species in the South Texas region, with an emphasis on raptors and eagles. Candidates experienced in bird identification will be given preference.
- Previous experience on biological field studies and/or prior field experience preferred
- Skilled use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment is required.
- Must be able to maintain equipment.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, clients, landowners, and other technicians.
- Follow all WEST safety protocols.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Field work will entail long hours of standing and observing, sometimes in inclement conditions and walking in varying terrain.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.