Are you tired of looking out the window at nature wishing you were there? Do you want to put your biology degree to use? We have a job opportunity for you.
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a premier environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the US. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies ready and willing to mentor young and transitional professionals. Beyond science, we encourage and incentivize participation in conservation actions at the local and national level and have developed a company-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) program.
We are looking for multiple Biological Field Technicians to support field surveys throughout the 2023 field season. If you are a recent graduate, working toward a degree, need a change of pace, or a late career biologist looking to get back to your field roots, this is a great opportunity.
- Compensation: $17.00-$20.00/ hour, DOE
- Start Date: May 1st, 2023
- Location: North Dakota and Montana
The successful candidates will be responsible for conducting botanical and wildlife surveys in eastern Montana and western North Dakota. Previous experience and/or knowledge of BLM and USFS sensitive species and USACE wetland delineation procedures are a plus. Surveys start May 2023 and will continue through October 2023. Biologists will need to be experienced in any or all of the following topics:
- General field surveys
- Wetland and waterbody delineations
- General botanical inventories
- Rare plant surveys
- Sensitive species habitat suitability and presence/absence survey
- Prairie dogs, burrowing owls, northern long-eared bats, mountain plovers, Dakota skipper butterfly, among other state and federally listed species
Biological Field Technicians typically work in teams of two in remote locations across the Northern Great Plains of North Dakota and Montana. We will outfit crews with proper field equipment and supervision. Training to be provided as warranted. We expect biologists to have basic field skills including but not limited to:
- Emphasis on Health & Safety
- Field responsibility
- Ability to follow survey and data collection protocols
- Data QA/QC
- Orientation skills
- Utilize tablets, GPS units, and other field equipment
- Physically able to walk long stretches over rough terrain and in temperature extremes
- Experience with 4wd vehicles
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna or ability to quickly learn local species
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The requirements for this position are focused on general biology knowledge, a desire to be in the field, and a willingness to follow standard protocols to ensure the successful completion of project work. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent; or degree in process.
- Previous experience conducting botanical and/or wildlife surveys.
- A strong track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients or stakeholders.
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Desire to be outside for long periods of time.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.