Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, full-time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18-$20/hour DOE, $500 project completion bonus
- Housing: $750/month reimbursement
- Start Date: Approximately April 1, 2023
- End Date: Approximately August 11,2023
- Location: Van Wert, OH
The successful candidate for this position will be:
- Able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, have previous experience with raptor observation and be able to identify Midwest birds by sight and sound.
- Prior experience conducting avian use surveys and a high level of birding skills preferred.
- Standardized avian use surveys on an operational wind farm (i.e. biomonitoring).
- Communicate with wind farm staff in a professional manner as needed.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Associate’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; students working towards degree may apply.
- Must be experienced in avian use surveys specifically point-count surveys; candidates with higher level birding skills will be given preference.
- Must be proficient in identification of Midwest bird species by sight and sound.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Must be able to use compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, tablets; as well as maintain equipment.
- Able to work independently or as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (site requires 7am start daily).
- Maintain focus for long periods of time (8 hours of biomonitoring each day).
- Follow instructions from manager and team leader.
- Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Follow all WEST safety protocols.
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.