Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $17 - $19/ hour, DOE
- Housing: Housing and relocation not provided
- Start Date: February 2023, or as available
- End Date: May 2024
- Location: Ideal candidates will be located within ~1 hour of Arlington, OR
- Additional Details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing.
The successful candidate for this position will be:
- Able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, have previous experience with identifying birds of the PNW by sight and sound.
- This position requires prior experience with bird-focused biological work and a high level of bird identification skills.
- Post-construction monitoring surveys,
- Participation in Searcher Efficiency Trials,
- Field and in-hand (via specimen) identification, aging, and sexing of bird species.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred, but job experience may substitute.
- Preference for biologist experienced in avian use surveys specifically point-count surveys; candidates with higher-level birding skills will be given preference.
- Must be proficient in identification of majority PNW migrant and resident bird species by sight and sound.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Must be able to use compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, tablets, and digital cameras; as well as maintain equipment.
- Able to work independently and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise).
- Maintain focus for long periods of time.
- Follow instructions from manager and team leader.
- Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Follow all WEST safety protocols.
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Must be tolerant of biting or stinging insects.
- Ability to walk long distances (10+ miles) in extreme heat.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.