Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part-time, Biological Field Technician near Philip, South Dakota. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18-$20/hour, DOE
- Housing: Monthly housing reimbursement is available (amount TBD)
- Start Date: 02/01/2023
- End Date:03/30/2024
- Location: near Philip, SD
- Performance Bonus: Performance bonus available after successful completion of first 6 months of work.
- Additional Details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing.
- The primary duty involves conducting:
- Conducting fixed-point counts for avian species with a focus on eagles and species of concern.
- Data is collected on paper datasheets and uploaded promptly following surveys each month.
- Roads on the study site are unimproved and require advanced field navigation and use of four-wheel drive vehicles. Candidates may be required to use traction devices in snow/mud (e.g., chains, trac-grabbers, traction boards).
- Position will consist of approximately 8 to12-hour days, approximately 7 days per month.
- Surveys are conducted in all weather conditions (high winds, hot and cold temperatures, snow, etc.) where visibility is within study parameters.
- This job includes conducting field work in a remote location.
- Field conditions will include a wide range of extreme high and low temperatures and carrying wind speeds.
- Job requires strong bird identification skills and use of a compass, GPS, paper datasheets, tablets and other electronic devices for navigation and data collection.
- Candidate will also have opportunities to help with other types of work such as: prairie grouse lek surveys, post-construction monitoring efforts, and eagle nest monitoring.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying birds (specifically grassland birds), recording data correctly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is required.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the team leader, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Consistent communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.