Position Title: Stone Harbor Point Beach Nesting Bird Technician
Job Classification: Seasonal Full Time (15 April - 23 August 2019)
Job Description: Technician will monitor nesting activities and behavior of beach-nesting birds (Piping Plover, American Oystercatcher, Black Skimmer, Common and Least Tern), as well as document disturbance and predation and will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, and doing data entry, public outreach, equipment maintenance, and other duties as necessary. The position requires walking long distances over sandy beach, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
· Searching for and monitoring nests and conducting bird surveys
· Recording detailed observations and data in the field
· Monitoring beach nesting bird broods
· Documenting disturbance and predation
· Data entry and management
Knowledge and Skills
· Experience identifying and monitoring beach nesting birds and nest searching
· Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
· Ability and willingness to interact with the public and work well with partners
· Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
· Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel or Access, required; experience with GIS preferred
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work in a team setting.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic.
· Excellent oral and written skills required.
· Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
· Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
· Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
· Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license.
· Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
· Must be able to walk long distances in uneven terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
Starting Date: April 15, 2019 End Date: August 23, 2019
Salary: $ 960 to $1,080 bi-weekly, depending on experience.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate "Beach Nesting" in the subject line so that your application is directed to the appropriate department.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.