Title: Banding Trainee
FLSA Status: Seasonal, full-time, non-exempt
Location: Brighton, CO with some travel throughout CO and western NE possible
Salary: $11.25/hr – housing is included as additional compensation
Duration: Aug 15 – Oct 28, 2022
About the Organization:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of science, education and stewardship. Our work extends from the Rockies to the Great Plains, Mexico and beyond. Our mission is advanced through sound science, achieved through empowering people, realized through stewardship and sustained through cross-border collaborations. We acknowledge that a long history of deep-seated discrimination has influenced who has access to and feels comfortable in the outdoors and in the conservation movement. We recognize that this is reflected in the current limited diversity within our organization. Though long overdue, we are now committed to be an organization that empowers people of all backgrounds, beliefs, colors and creeds to join in, benefit from and contribute to our mission. We believe that being inclusive and equitable is essential to our work. We encourage feedback and suggestions as we navigate our collaborative path forward. Together, we are improving native bird populations, the land, and the lives of people.
Learn more about our work and programs at our website: www.birdconservancy.org
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
We are seeking a banding trainee for a fall migration banding station. The station is located at Barr Lake State Park, in Brighton, CO. Position is approximately 11 weeks. This position is intended to provide bird banding training for those with some to no prior experience. The trainee will learn how to safely capture and band birds, including safe handling techniques, species identification in-hand, aging and sexing birds using reliable indicators, and daily operation and maintenance of a banding station. Trainee will also assist by scribing, entering, and proofing banding data. Trainee may also help with providing bird banding demonstrations to visiting school and community groups. The position is 40 hours per week, with a variable schedule including some workdays on weekends. Free housing is provided nearby in a private room in a restored house that also serves as office space. Reliable personal vehicle, valid driver’s license, and auto insurance required; work-related mileage will be reimbursed at the federal rate. Hiring contingent on passing a background check and drug screen.
Desired Qualifications (unless otherwise noted):
● No prior bird banding experience required, though applicants with some prior experience can also apply. This position is intended to be a training opportunity to develop banding skills.
● While training in bird identification will be provided, strong applicants will have a demonstrated interest in identification, natural history, and conservation of birds.
● Attention to detail in entering and proofing data working with Microsoft Excel
● Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team setting.
● Completed or working towards completion of Bachelor of Science in biology, ecology, zoology, or related field preferred.
● Strong organizational and logistical skills, and able to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Able to stand, walk and hike for extended periods of time outdoors in all weather. Frequently walking 2+ miles daily for work.
· Early morning work required; typical workday begins 30 minutes prior to sunrise.
· Ability to handle mid-level stress.
· Requires reaching and kneeling/squatting intermittently throughout the workday (reaching overhead or positioning oneself low to work with mist-nets for capturing birds).
· May include lifting up to thirty (30) pounds on an infrequent basis- proper lifting techniques required.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage members of the BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and other underrepresented communities to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
Bird Conservancy is committed to protecting and enhancing the welfare of its employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a condition of employment, all newly hired employees must provide to Bird Conservancy’s human resources representative proof of full vaccination at employment start date. In addition, Bird Conservancy may require employees to be tested for COVID-19 under certain conditions, including but not limited to, exposure to a person infected with the virus, experience of COVID-19 symptoms or travel outside of the assigned work area. All employees must follow Bird Conservancy’s other safety protocols for COVID-19, which are based on current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines. Any proof of vaccination or test results submitted to Bird Conservancy will remain confidential.
Please send cover letter and resume with three references in one document to email@example.com with the subject line Banding Trainee.
Applications will be accepted until June 24, 2022. We will review applications on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor. Nothing in this job description shall create or is intended to create, or shall be construed to constitute a contract of employment, express or implied. Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.