Position: Assistant Bander
Location: Prince Edward Point Bird Observatory, Prince Edward, ON
Duration: 15 Apr – 31 May 2019 and 15 Aug – 31 Oct 2019
Job Type: Seasonal
Application Deadline: Feb 28 2019
Prince Edward Point Bird Observatory (PEPtBO) is located on Lake Ontario, 225 km east of Toronto in the Prince Edward Point National Wildlife Area and the PEC South Shore IBA. Run by a Board of Directors, this busy station bands 10,000+ birds of 100+ species each year. More than 260 species and forms have been observed at the observatory over the last ten years. The NWA is open to the public and the Observatory has hundreds of visitors a year. PEPtBO adheres to the NABC guidelines for banding and follows a standardized protocol that operates 19 passerine nets 7 days a week. Seven hawk nets are operated during fall migration and a Northern Saw-whet Owl banding program operates in the evenings during October.
· Assist with banding and migration monitoring activities at the Observatory under the supervision of the Bander-in-Charge (BIC).
· Work with a team of Intern(s) and/or Day Volunteers
· Assist with the training of volunteers as able and directed by the BIC
· Follow the standard protocol and help with a daily census as needed
· Participate in a daily meeting with staff to update Daily Log and observations
· Strictly follow the Banders Code of Ethics
· Interact with visitors and school groups in an enthusiastic and positive way
· Participate in shared duties of staff accommodation (food preparation, cleaning)
· Work 6 days a week (day off arranged with the team – may be adjusted to match banding needs)
Applicants for the Assistant Bander position should possess a banding permit for passerines and other land birds. Considerable knowledge of and experience with northeastern bird identification, ageing and sexing is required as is an ability to quickly and accurately take measurements. Applicants must possess a strong work ethic and demonstrate effective team skills. Because the location is remote, applicants will need to provide their own transportation.
Accommodation and food are supplied to banding staff on site. Pay will be commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume that includes banding permit details, banding experience, qualifications and contact information for three references, to Peter Fuller (email@example.com) before February 28, 2019.