Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium-sized consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary Avian Use Technician to perform avian use surveys. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18 - $21 per hour, DOE
- Start date: March 2023
- End date: December 2023
- Location: Page and Montgomery Counties, IA
- Additional details: Travel around site will be required. Personal vehicle (4-wheel or all-wheel drive) use will be reimbursed, or a rental vehicle can be provided for work purposes if needed.
The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct avian use surveys in Southwestern Iowa. Successful candidates must be able to work in a rural field setting, work well both independently and with others, and follow field, data entry, and health and safety protocols. Previous experience conducting avian use surveys is required. Training will be provided. An average workweek will be approximately 30-40 hours, though there may be weeks requiring shorter or longer hours depending on seasonal objectives.
- Responsibilities include:
- Avian use surveys for small and large birds, including songbirds (mainly grassland birds), raptors, waterfowl, and shorebirds.
- Standardized protocols to record data quickly and accurately.
- Species identification for Midwestern birds by sight and sound.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred, but job experience may substitute.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is required.
- Experience with bird identification of Midwestern species or ability to identify species using guides/keys is preferred.
- Skilled use of computers, tablets, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures.
- Able to work independently or as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise and can go until sunset).
- Maintain focus for long periods of time.
- Follow all WEST safety protocols.
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition; surveys will require standing for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), clothing suitable for outdoor work in all elements, and binoculars (at least 8x42).
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.