Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, Full time, Avian Use Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $16 - $18 per hour depending on experience
- Housing: $500/month provided for housing
- Start Date: May 15
- End Date: Spring 2023
- Location: generally located in central Illinois. Flexibility for candidate to be located out of Champaign/Urbana, Bloomington/Normal, Springfield, or in the vicinity of those cities.
- Additional Details: Mileage reimbursement at the federal rate will be provided for personal vehicle use. GPS unit, compass, camera, tablet and range finder will be provided by WEST, however, technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed boots (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars.
The primary duty involves conducting:
- Avian surveys for small birds (e.g. passerines, etc.) and large birds (e.g. waterfowl, shorebirds, diurnal raptors, etc.)
- Job duties require bird identification and the use of a compass, GPS, paper and electronic map devices.
- Workload may be 30-40 hours per week, and may require overtime or weekend work.
- Field conditions will include a range of extreme high and low temperatures and varying high wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of field work (mud, dust, driving on gravel roads, extreme heat and cold).
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment and follow WEST and facility protocols to stay safe, healthy and work efficiently.
Additional opportunities to assist with post-construction monitoring surveys may be available.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying birds by sight and sound, recording data correctly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Consistent communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Skilled use of GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the team leader, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Must be tolerant of biting or stinging insects.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.