TRC is seeking an Avian Technician to join our environmental consulting firm specializing in renewable energy development. This position is for a field site in eastern Iowa, and the Avian Technician should be based in the area (Iowa city, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Davenport IA, etc.). The current projected workload is approximately 80-100 hours per month, though this may change depending on the season and project needs.
Position is part-time, temporary, from December 2020 for approximately 1 year, with the potential for additional hours or extended/expanded contract pending availability of work and satisfactory performance.
· Primary duties are to conduct avian point counts, and raptor (including eagle) surveys, and data entry/management.
· There may be the opportunity to participate in additional field work such as wetland delineations, plant surveys, additional avian or other wildlife surveys at other projects in the region with the potential for travel to other areas of the Midwest or eastern US.
· Work is often performed alone at remote sites, with early morning hours and long days.
Applicant must be able to demonstrate proven experience identifying birds of the midwestern United States both visually and audibly and should have previous experience performing bird surveys in the United States.
Must be currently enrolled in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Wildlife Studies or related programs. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Good written and verbal communication skills, computer literacy, willingness to learn new skills, and attention to detail are important.
· Use of topographic maps, aerial photos, GPS unit, range finder, and other field equipment is required.
· Proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel is also required. Applicant should demonstrate the ability to work alone and to maintain focus in an outdoor work environment.
· Frequent bending, stooping, and walking are required.
· Candidate will be expected to interact regularly with managers and occasionally with other staff and landowners.
· Exposure to weather conditions such as high winds, prolonged exposure to intense sunlight, and hot and/or cold temperatures, and high humidity is common.
· Early mornings and/or late evenings are expected. Limited weekend and holiday work may be required.
· The expected daily workload in the field is up to 8 -12 hours.
· Valid driver’s license required. A company vehicle may be provided, or mileage will be reimbursed for travel through the work area.
· Applicant should have a working cell phone, computer, and regular access to internet for communication and data submission.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher-level education and 2-3 seasons experience with avian point surveys is desired; experience with large birds (raptors) is preferred.
· Willingness/ability to work at a variety of locations or on a variety of ecological survey types is a plus.
· Field experience conducting surveys for other organisms (e.g., mammals, plants, etc.) or performing wetland delineations is a plus, and may expand the opportunity for additional work tasks or an extension of employment.
TRC offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a company match. For more information please visit our website at www.trcsolutions.com.
EOE: Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled