Avian Technician Position Overview: Under the supervision of the Avian Surveillance Specialist, the Seasonal Avian Technician works to collect field and laboratory samples for arbovirus testing. The technician also provides general support services in the laboratory as well as performing technical works.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Conduct live bird trapping and sampling activities that include capturing birds with mist nets, identifying, sexing, aging, banding, drawing blood samples from, and releasing wild birds in accordance with federal and state laws as well as Harris County Policies.
• Answer calls on dead bird hotline in a polite and professional manner and collect reported dead birds for arboviral testing.
• Assist within preparing laboratory materials and equipment for live and dead bird testing and in conducting WNV diagnostic testing of dead bird specimens, which may include but is not limited to the use of RAMP test kits, while following all Harris County safety procedures as needed.
• Repair and maintain mist nets and other equipment as needed.
• Enter live bird trapping data and the data from dead bird reports into the MVCD database system.
• Attend in-house training opportunities as required.
• Other duties as assigned, including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event.
• Highschool diploma or equivalent. Experience Requirements:
• Knowledge of general biology of birds and mosquitos. Licenses:
• Must have valid (TX) driver's license upon hire and acceptable driving record. Computer Proficiency:
• Basic skills: Microsoft Windows, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook
• Basic word processing and data entry.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.