Avian Husbandry Internship
Internship dates: 10/1/2019-12/30/19
Position requirements: 75% of time per week will be spent in avian husbandry and 25% of time per week supporting the Interpretation department.
The Avian Husbandry intern will be tasked with basic seabird care and husbandry techniques. The intern will assist in the daily care and maintenance of the Center’s Alaskan seabird collection and exhibit. This position also participates in daily educational talks and/or tours. Under guidance of avian staff, the intern will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
· Perform daily animal diet preparations and routine cleaning of seabird exhibits and work areas.
· Record daily observations and note the health and condition of the exhibit birds.
· Work in an outdoor exhibit with moderate to strenuous physical activity, lifting up to 50 pounds.
· Lead daily Keeper chats and tours.
· Maintain computer records and data.
· Assist in habitat maintenance and breeding season preparations.
· Assist the avian staff in current research projects and data collection.
· Assist in avian training program
· Assist with front of house operations as assigned