Description & Details
The mission of the Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center is to rescue, rehabilitate, and release native and migratory wild birds that have been harmed or displaced, to provide or locate a humane shelter for those birds that cannot be released, and to educate the public toward the importance of coexistence with all wild bird species. Our Wild Bird Sanctuary is located on a 7-acre wetland and houses 100+ native and migratory permanent residents. Our Wild Bird Rehabilitation Hospital receives over 800 sick and injured birds a year and is located a mile down the road from our Sanctuary. We are proud to offer three different internships where college students and recent college graduates receive valuable hands-on experience with avian husbandry and wildlife rehabilitation, with a taste of wildlife education. Our internships are available year-round and we accept applications on a rolling basis. We are looking for hardworking, motivated, and enthusiastic individuals to partake in 6 month long, 40 hours/week internships at our established organization. Interns are offered a $200 bi-weekly stipend and housing/parking is provided on site at our Wild Bird Sanctuary.
Hospital Internship Duties include (but are not limited to):
- Daily cleaning and feeding of Hospital patients
- Observing all patients for abnormal behavior
- Maintaining hospital cleanliness such as sweeping, mopping, laundry
- Administering medication and fluids therapy
- Helping staff with wound care, blood work, fecals, x-rays, etc.
- Participating in bird rescues, intakes and releases
- Answering bird-emergency calls two nights a week
- Keeping detailed and updated reports on sick and injured patients
- Partaking in after-hour bird emergencies
- Working towards or have completed a Bachelors degree in an animal-related field
- 6 month commitment
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Willing to work 40 hours (5 days) a week, weekends and holidays with occasional evenings
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and work in hot, humid and rainy weather conditions
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Ability to interact with the public proficiently
- Possess a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and eagerness to learn
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and clean driving record
For Further Information, To Apply, or To Contact:
Please fill out and submit the appropriate internship application located on our website http://www.keepthemflying.org/job/avian-hospital-internship/. For any further questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.