The successful candidate will work with Utah State University Biology faculty and graduate students at the Uintah Basin campus in collaboration with the Bureau of Land Management Green River District Vernal Field Office (VFO) or the Ashley National Forest (ANF) to conduct field work in the Uintah Mountains or the Uintah Basin of Northeastern Utah to monitor raptor nesting success.
The Raptor Crew assesses raptor nesting success throughout the VFO district or the ANF by visiting known nests, recording evidence of nesting, identifying prey remains near the nest, recording habitat characteristics (including invasive plants), and recording local disturbances. Crew members will also be responsible for collecting genetic samples (fecal material and feathers) using sterile technique. Crew members may have the opportunity to band nestlings up to 3 days during the season.
This position is funded for no more than 29 hrs/wk for 14 weeks, May 4th-August 5th. Preference will be given to qualified Utah State University students. Preference will also be given to applicants that can be present during the entire field season. Compensation will be $12.50/hr for crew members and $15/hr for crew leads. No housing is provided with this position. The duty station for these positions is Vernal, Utah.
The intern will make field observations of wildlife or vegetation according to protocol, collect data, and enter data. They will collaborate with teammates and the crew lead to collect and assemble a high-quality data set in an efficient manner. Fieldwork may require strenuous hiking (up to 15 miles per day off-trail in rough terrain), work in adverse weather conditions, and irregular hours. Work may be conducted in a team setting or independently. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until all positions are filled.
Applicants must apply through Utah State University's portal: https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/2329/wildlife-field-intern---uintah-basin%2c-ut/job?mobile=false&width=1200&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-420&jun1offset=-360
- CPR/Wilderness First Aid Certification
- Conduct field surveys independently after training
- Raptor identification
- Follow protocols for raptor surveys with emphasis on minimizing disturbance
- Plant identification and quantification following protocol
- Travel to field sites, driving 4WD vehicle on unmaintained dirt roads
- Hiking to work sites, sometimes in adverse weather, sometimes at irregular hours
- Navigation via GPS
- GPS management to find and monitor or map study sites
- Data entry under direction of the crew lead
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience identifying raptors
- Experience identifying plants
- Demonstrated fieldwork experience
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow safety regulations
- Driver's license and experience driving 4WD vehicles
- Ability to efficiently execute directives and study plan
- Ability to collaborate with crewmates and follow team lead
- Professional fieldwork experience
- Professional plant identification experience or certifications
- Professional raptor identification experience
- GIS, GPS, or orienteering experience
- Experience with raptor handling and survey protocols
- Experience with technical climbing
- Data entry experience
- Demonstrated strong performance in relevant coursework, including but not limited to one or more classes in a topic such as ornithology, botany, biology, ecology, natural resource management, or GIS
- Required Documents
Along with the online application, please attach the following documents combined into a single pdf:
1. Resume to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under “Resume/CV”
2. The names, titles, contact information, and relationship to the applicant for two professional references (not family members or personal references) to be entered at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile
3. Unofficial transcripts to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under "Documents 1-5"
4. A cover letter, including a summary of why you are seeking this position to be typed/pasted at the end of your application
**Document size may not exceed 10 MB.**