Avian Field Technician (1) needed May 5 (start date negotiable as late as May 15th) - June 30, 2023. Technician will be part of a team setting up and running ten 12m passive mist net arrays at 5-6 sites in the mountains of Western North Carolina; participating in double-observer point count surveys; setting up and checking malaise traps; setting up Automatic Recording Units; data entry; and additional avian related activities as part of multiple ongoing projects. The anticipated schedule will include 5-6 days of work (depending on weather conditions) followed by 1-2 days off.
The ability to identify most eastern forest birds by sight and sound required. Experience banding and extracting small passerines from mist nets is preferred. Position requires good color vision, ability to identify eastern forest birds by sight and sound, the ability to hike (on and off trail) and work alone in rugged terrain and variable weather conditions, as well as an interest in avian ecology.
• Some classes in Ecology, Biology, Wildlife, or similar field.
• Experience with mist-netting and banding required.
• Position requires good color vision, an interest in avian ecology, and the ability to hike and work as a team in rugged and mountainous terrain and variable weather conditions.
• Position also necessitates attention to detail, self-motivation, and a positive attitude for early mornings (wake time often 4:30am), long days (8-10 hours) in the field with biting insects.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Associates degree or higher in wildlife management or related field.
• Experience with avian point counts.
• Experience with mist-netting, especially eastern US avian species.
Navigating mountainous terrain carrying up to 25lbs of field equipment.
Free housing included in Otto, NC. Field equipment and field vehicle also provided.
How to Apply:
To apply, send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for at least 3 references to Wayne C. Ryan and Dr. Jeff Hepinstall-Cymerman to (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please provide application materials in one PDF document titled “LastName_Coweeta_Crew” and include “Seasonal Avian Technician” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and position will be open until filled.