Position Service Site: Beaver Creek Reserve (Fall Creek, WI)
Service Time: April 3, 2023 – August 18, 2023 (675 Hour AmeriCorps Term) (20 weeks) (35hrs/wk)
Benefits: Living stipend total for the whole term = $9,000 ($450.00/week), Education Award = $2,626.27 upon successful completion of service.
Onsite housing available.
Requirements: Covid-19 vaccine required.
OVERVIEW: Beaver Creek Reserve (BCR) is an environmental center founded in 1947. The 400-acre nature reserve includes the Eau Claire County Youth Camp, the Wise Nature Center, Citizen Science Center and the Hobbs Observatory. This unique combination of facilities provides a special atmosphere where people, young and old alike, can discover, learn and appreciate the mysteries and miracles of the world where we live. Beaver Creek Reserve is the bridge that connects what youth and adults learn in their everyday environment and adds real-life tangible experiences that support growth and understanding of the natural world.
Beaver Creek has a long history of monitoring birds. Through the years, BCR has participated in bird hikes, bird banding, nest box monitoring, bird surveys, and public outreach programs. Currently the BCR Avian Monitoring Program (AMP) includes three monitoring projects, four banding projects, the Christmas Bird Count, Wisconsin Crane Count, Bird School, and numerous outreach programs.
Beaver Creek has over 700 acres of property, over nine miles of trails, and numerous educational spaces used for outreach, training and monitoring. The Avian Field Technician will be responsible for assisting with the upkeep, maintenance and conservation of these spaces. There is a lot of room for personal creativity and inspiration in this position.
SERVICE DESCRIPTION: Beaver Creek Reserve’s Avian Field Technician program has two goals. The first goal is to provide the technician with quality training and hands-on experiences participating in and assisting with running an avian research station. The second goal is for the Avian Field Technician to assist the Citizen Science Center in helping the Avian Monitoring Program to run smoothly, efficiently and professionally.
Some of the projects this position will work on include Weekly Feeder Bird banding, American Kestrel Nest Box Monitoring, MAPS – Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship, Motus Avian tracking, Bald Eagle Nest Watch, Bluebird Restoration Project and several outreach programs.
· Motus avian tracking
· Assist in all aspects of bird banding and bird monitoring programs (songbirds, owls, kestrels)
· Assist in the recruitment, training, and communication with volunteers
· Ensure proper and timely data management, complete all data entry
· Write grant, project and annual reports
· Maintain work stations and equipment
· Develop and conduct education programs for youth and adults
· Develop and conduct online programming
· Coordinate, market and lead volunteer opportunities such as Wisconsin Crane Count and Christmas Bird Count
· Seek out and provide the public with volunteer opportunities
· Assist in marketing of upcoming educational programs, special events, and volunteer opportunities
· Assist with website updates and social media promotions for upcoming programs and events
· Create interpretive posters and signage for programs and events
Volunteer Recruitment and Management
· Assist with recruitment, training, and scheduling of nonpaid, non-AmeriCorps volunteers
· Develop online training for research projects
· Assist with the supervision of volunteers
· Record and track volunteer hours
· Develop and assist in continuing education opportunities for volunteers
· Find and write grants to support program
· Assist in the preparation, set-up, and running of the Bird Banders’ Nature Thrift Sale or Bird Bander’s Bake Sale - May
· Promote and complete orders for our Adopt-A-Bird program
HOUSING: Members should be prepared to live in communal housing with other members of the program/organization/agency. Members should expect to have roommates, and must inform staff of any housing preferences or required accommodations.
Seeking a candidate with knowledge and experience handling and banding birds. Experience with Motus is highly desired. Candidate must have excellent communication skills, be well organized, motivated, and deadline orientated. Knowledge of common bird monitoring databases, such as the Bird Banding Lab, Cornell NestWatch, American Kestrel Partnership is highly recommended. Candidate does not need to be a permitted bander.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Ecology, or other natural resource degrees
· Strong knowledge of birds and bird banding
· Ability to identify the majority of Midwest birds by sight/song or willingness to learn
· Experience extracting birds from mist nets; banding, identifying, aging, and sexing birds
· Experience with Motus avian tracking, building towers a huge plus
· Self-starter with an enthusiastic, friendly, and creative demeanor
· Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and inspire others
· Effective oral and written communication skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Ability to work effectively with volunteers of all ages and backgrounds
· Very important! Dependable and capable of working with limited supervision
· Organized and punctual, committed to deadlines
· Experience working with databases
· Comfortable with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Comfortable working in adverse weather conditions
· Withstand the physical demands of work which involves some lifting, carrying, bending and hiking across uneven terrain
· Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
· Ability to multitask and shift schedule and priorities to meet changing conditions
· Upon hire, a criminal background check will be conducted. Service with WisCorps will be considered probationary until all results are returned and have been reviewed
To apply, visit https://wiscorps.wufoo.com/forms/zt90wiz07w6j3d/ or contact Holly Pierro at email@example.com for more information or a paper formatted application.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.