Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for Avian Field Technicians in northern New York near Plattsburgh.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Key Benefits/ Details:
- Compensation: $18-21 DOE
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sick Leave: Starting April 1, this position will start accruing 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked up to a maximum of 48 hours in the first year.
- Housing: A housing reimbursement will be available to qualified non-local applicants.
- Start Date: mid-May 2022
- End Date: mid-July 2022
- Location: Northern New York
- Additional Details: The schedule is anticipated to consist of 5-6 days and approximately 30-40 hours of full-time work per week from mid-May to mid-July 2022. Overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 in a given week. The technician will need reliable transportation to and from the work site and will be reimbursed mileage at the current federal standard rate. Alternatively, a WEST field vehicle can be provided if preferred.
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work independently and communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients; have previous experience with breeding birds found in New York state, in particular grassland breeding birds, forest nesting raptors, nightjars, and/or marsh birds; and have experience working in extreme weather conditions and navigating rugged terrain.
- Monitor for grassland breeding birds, forest breeding raptors, nightjars, and marsh birds;
- Follow protocols to collect data, map flight paths, and describe bird behaviors
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Proficient in identification of New York state breeding birds by sight and sound; candidates experienced in identification of breeding birds and recording behavioral observations will be given preference
- Skilled use of topographic maps, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
- Must be able to cope with variable weather conditions and rough terrain
- Must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (hiking boots), binoculars, and proper clothing for variable weather conditions
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.