Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for one temporary, part-time, Avian Field Technician to conduct avian surveys in Southwestern Virginia.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Compensation: $17.00 - $19.00/ hour, DOE
- Start date: May 2023 (anticipated by late May/early June)
- End date: May 31, 2024
- Location: Near Independence, Virginia
- Completion Bonus: $500 will be provided upon completion of the Project while in good standing.
- Additional details: Mileage reimbursement at the current federal rate will be provided for personal vehicle use. Applicants based within an hour of Independence, VA are strongly encouraged to apply. Compass, range finder, tablet and other standard field equipment will be provided by WEST, however, technician must be equipped with, and provide their own suitable safety-toed boots (rugged hiking boots, etc.), field appropriate clothing, and binoculars.
The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct avian use surveys in Southwestern Virginia. Successful candidate must be able to work in a rural field setting, work well both independently and with others, and follow field, data entry, and health and safety protocols. Surveys will require thorough data collection while identifying avian species by sight and sound. Moving between survey sites may require hiking, often on steep terrain. Avian field surveys may undergo frequent scheduling changes, requiring successful candidates to maintain flexibility, effective communication, and strong organization skills.
- Avian use surveys for small and large birds, including songbirds, raptors, waterfowl, and shorebirds.
- Species identification for eastern bird species by sight and sound.
- Standardized protocols to record data quickly and accurately.
- Maintaining professional and detailed communication between colleagues, supervisors, client personnel, and members of the public who may be encountered while on the job.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is strongly preferred,
- Candidates should have a strong interest in ornithology, and must have demonstrated experience identifying eastern bird species by sight and sound,
- Ability to interpret topographic maps, use cellular mapping applications, and other field equipment is required,
- Must be able to work alone in the field and be able to appear for work on time (surveys begin at sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time,
- Must be able to cope with unanticipated changes to work schedules, fluctuating temperatures, and variable field conditions,
- Must provide own binoculars, rugged hiking boots, and proper clothing for changing weather conditions,
- Precise, thorough, and prompt data collection and submission is essential,
Follow all WEST and client safety protocols.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.