Corvus Ecological Consulting is seeking qualified field biologists for an avian fatality monitoring project in Desert Center, California. We seek to fill two surveyor field positions: one is a short-term position starting as soon as possible until mid-June, and the other is a full-time position from April 4 2022 until February 2023. Work will average 40 hours per week, five days per week. Applicants will be required to respect all COVID-19 protocols and CDC guidelines involving social distancing and mask wearing. Anyone not prepared to follow COVID-19 guidelines should not apply.
Field Surveyor primary duties will include conducting transects to locate bird and bat fatalities within the project boundary, carcass collection, data entry, game camera management, capture and release of stranded birds, transportation of injured birds to rehabilitation facilities and Common Raven surveys. The ideal candidate will have good attention to detail and the ability to concentrate while performing monotonous tasks in adverse weather conditions.
This work takes place in the Mojave Desert of Southern California and is year-round including summer months where temperatures often exceed 110˚ F. Applicants should have experience working in extreme climates.
Minimum requirements for both positions are:
· Ability to walk 10 miles per day (average 40 miles per week) on uneven terrain
· Have exceptional knowledge and experience with avian communities of the Mojave Desert
o Ability to identify birds of the Mojave Desert by sight
· Have experience with GPS units, basecamp software, and topographic maps
· Experience with digital data collection systems or databases
· Bachelor of Science in biology or related field
· A minimum of 2 years of field experience working with birds. Work conducted as part of a university course is not included, thesis or dissertation experience can be included.
· Have a keen eye for details
· A valid driver’s license and clean driving record
· Have experience working with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
Preference will be given to candidates that have experience conducting avian surveys on renewable energy facilities especially, related to fatality monitoring.
· Shared housing in Desert Center, CA
· Up to $52,000/ year salaried position for long term, or equivalent hourly rate for shorter term position
· Reimbursement for personal vehicle use - $0.56/ mile (onsite project miles only)
To apply please send a cover letter, résumé, and list of 3 references with phone numbers and email addresses to email@example.com. In the subject line, indicate whether you are interested in the longer or shorter term position. No phone calls, please. References, cover letter and résumé should specifically address the qualifications outlined in this announcement and the candidate’s experience. If the minimum requirements outlined above with respect to field experience are not demonstrated in application packet, you will not be contacted for an interview. The preferred method of attachment is as a single document or a zip file of separate documents. Applications will be accepted immediately until the positions are filled.